Race Date: June 4th, 2017
The team has been selected for this year’s Rack Raid but if you haven’t been selected or are running the Welsh Castles Relay, we encourage you to support our runners wherever possible.
The race begins at Grosmont Castle at around 7:30am and finishes at Castell-Y-Bwch at around 7:00pm.
View the complete Rack Raid documentation here. Please take note of the instructions for driving between stages.
Please Follow Official Instructions
There are some stages where only official vehicles are allowed. Failure to do so could result in time penalties for the club.
Maps and GPX files can be found on the Fairwater Runners website. The starting Postcode at Grosmont Castle is NP7 8EP. The finishing Postcode at Castell-y-Bwch Inn is NP44 7AZ.
Start/Stage 1 | NP7 8EP
Grosmont Castle to Skenfrith Castle – 5.1 Miles
Start Time: 0730 | Cut-Off Time: 46 Mins
Stage 2 | NP7 8UH
Skenfrith Castle to White Castle – 6.93 Miles
Start Time: 0805 | Cut-Off Time: 62 Mins
Stage 3 | NP7 8UD
Stage 4 | NP7 5HF
Abergavenny to Moat – 6.8 Miles
Start Time: 0940 | Cut-Off Time: 61 Mins
Stage 5 | NP7 8TD
Moat to Monmouth – 8.1 Miles
Start Time: 1025 | Cut-Off Time: 73 Mins
Stage 6 | NP25 3EG
Monmouth to Raglan – 12.6 Miles
Start Time: 1120 | Cut-Off Time: 114 Mins
Stage 7 | NP15 2JW
Raglan to Usk – 5.53 Miles
Start Time: 1240 | Cut-Off Time: 50 Mins
Stage 8| NP15 1BH
Usk to Tintern Abbey – 13.1 Miles
Start Time: 1320| Cut-Off Time: 118 Mins
Stage 9 | NP16 6SE
Tintern Abbey to Chepstow Castle – 9.42 Miles
Start Time: 1445 | Cut-Off Time: 85 Mins
Stage 10 | NP16 5EY
Chepstow Castle to Caldicot Castle – 5.63 Miles
Start Time: 1550 | Cut-Off Time: 51 Mins
Stage 11 | NP26 4HU
Caldicot Castle to Penhow – 8.3 Miles
Start Time: 1625 | Cut-Off Time: 75 Mins
Stage 12 | NP26 3AD
Penhow to Caerleon Amphitheatre – 6.64 Miles
Start Time: 1720 | Cut-Off Time: 60 Mins
Stage 13 | NP18 1AY
Caerleon Amphitheatre to Castell-y-Bwch – 5.43 Miles
Start Time: 1805 | Cut-Off Time: 49 Mins
Finish | NP44 7AZ
Each team will be provided with an “OFFICIAL VEHICLE” sticker. This is to be used for the following sections where only one vehicle per team (plus official Fairwater vehicles) will be allowed access. This is of VITAL IMPORTANCE. Any team contravening this rule will have the cut-off time for that stage, plus ten minutes allocated as their runners time for that stage. THIS RULE WILL BE ENFORCED.
- STAGE 2. SKENFRITH to WHITE CASTLE :- The lane to White Castle.
- STAGE 6. MONMOUTH to RAGLAN :- The lane between Coed-y-fedw and the Crosshands crossroads via Pen-y-clawdd.
- STAGE 8. USK to TINTERN:- The lane between the A449 (Llanllowel Lane) to the B4235 at Llangwm.
- STAGE 13. CAERLEON to CASTELL-Y_BWCH :- “Malthouse Lane” connecting Caerleon Road and Newport Road.
Also note that on the following sections NO VEHICLES ARE ALLOWED APART FROM THE FIRST AID VEHICLE:
- STAGE 4/5 MOAT. No team vehicles permitted on minor road off B4233 alongside the Moat.
- STAGE 11. CALDICOT to PENHOW:- From the final right hand turn to the finish at Penhow. Vehicles other than the ambulances will be directed by a marshal to a shorter route to the finish – see map for details.
- STAGE 13. CAERLEON to CASTELL-Y-BWCH :- “Pentre Lane” connecting Newport Road to finish at Castell-y-Bwch.
Visit the Fairwater Runners website for more information including maps and GPX files.